I think you will agree we could not get much closer. We also had a small problem with the Hurricane diesel heater, or to be more precise the circulation pump attached to it. On Thursday morning during its normal morning cycle, it began to screech like a banshee. After shutting everything down and doing some research, I could not believe something so small and made of plastic could cost so much. You can imagine my delight when speaking to Calcutt Boats, to find it was still under warranty. Better still they would send a replacement next day delivery to the pub.
The big day arrived and the weather as forecast was perfect for the occasion. The service was conducted in Chester then it was off to Walk Mill at Waverton for the reception. It was good to see family and friends again.
On Sunday, after an anniversary lunch to celebrate our 29 years married, we said goodbye to everyone and then went into Chester to have a look around.
The city centre was bustling, but that was hardly surprising given the weather, and that there had been races the previous day. On Monday the new pump which had arrived as promised was fitted, with only a small hiccup.
Tuesday, was forecast to be very hot. It was. We set off, initially heading towards Chester to make use of the winding hole a couple of hundred yards ahead. Originally we planned to descend the locks into Chester, then continue on to Ellesmere Port. We have reviewed this and are now aiming to spend a month or so, exploring the Llangollen and the Montgomery Canals, travelling from England into Wales. This means the northern tip of the Shropshire Union remains undone, so it's a good reason to come back this way one day. After winding it was a fairly easy six mile cruise to our spot, this time just below Wharton's Lock. We had made a brief stop at Tattenhall Marina for fuel, sorry we missed you again nb Amyjo. By now it was mid afternoon and blisteringly hot.
Lunch was taken at the Shady Oak P.H. which was not so shady, then the remainder of the afternoon spent trying to keep cool. We plan on staying here a day or two.
Today, Wednesday we woke to bright sunshine. Overnight sleeping had been fairly comfortable thanks mostly to the dyson cool fan. Today the humidity has made things uncomfortable and we could do with a good storm to clear the air. Depending on the weather we will probably move off tomorrow.
Totals 6 Miles
Running totals 295 Miles 134 Locks 11 Tunnels